Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Nothing I Can Do

How many times have you heard a doctor tell you that their is nothing they can do for you? Or they have said, "I want you to try this medication." and because of what your doctor says, you become depressed and lose hope.

Well that is where I am at today. Depressed and hopeless after my doctor told me that pain medication was my only hope from terrible foot pain due to osteoarthritis. Until a few months ago I was living a happy, active life. Then one day the pain started and progressively got worse. It was so bad at one point I could only stand for a few minutes at a time. And my doctor has been puzzled at the cause of my pain until today when he read the results of my recent MRI. And much to my dismay, after reading the report he simply looked at me and said "WOW". That's exactly what he said. I had to ask him what it all meant. And I was a little shaken by the results, and admittedly I cried a little when I got to my car. But, I gathered my wits and began researching ways to improve the quality of life when living with osteoarthritis.

I happen to stumble upon a few articles that fascinated me. One was a study from Johns Hopkins University on Osteoarthritis and weight loss. It basically said in patients with knee pain associated with osteoarthritis when losing a small amount of weight, they experienced improvement in their pain levels. Read the article here

The other was related along the same lines. While it was not solid concrete evidence of a correlation between weight loss and the effect on osteoarthritis, it is enough for me to give it a shot. I'm not quite sure where I am going to start this new life journey.........I just know it's something I have got to do. Read the article here

No comments: