Friday, June 4, 2010

Just Does Not Get Much Better


The day is arriving quickly for my niece to graduate from high school. In less than one week we will watch her walk to the stage and accept her diploma. We will also watch her as she goes to her prom. And I must admit I had doubts as to whether we would see these things come to pass.

She has been living with us for three years now. And in those three years we have seen two of her sisters and her brother leave our care. Two of them went to foster care and the third decided when she turned 18 yrs old that she no longer needed us. But Miss Diamond stuck it out. I remember the first six months were the worst for her. She begged us to let her live with other family. But we were the only ones that actually said she could live with us. No one else would take them all in. We had our share of hard times. But we also had an over abundance of happy times. Days filled with laughter and joy.

Today, she gave my husband and I our tickets to the prom toast. I was thrilled that she wanted us there. I can't wait to see her in her dress and watch her drive off into the night with her friends to celebrate all of her hard work. And I know that at Graduation, I will be beaming with pride. For she is the first one in my sister in laws family to graduate. Both of her sisters dropped out of school. So she is the first and I hope that she is not the last.

So, for Miss Diamond, Your Uncle and I are proud of you. And wish you all the best that life has to offer.

Life just does not get any better.

5 comments:

Jacqueline said...

Beautiful. I'm glad you invested in her health, happiness, success and well-being. Thank you. :-)

William K Wallace said...

Miss Diamond is definitely a gem...good luck to her...!

JIA said...

REALLY BEAUTIFUL.I PRAY THAT SHE COMES TO KNOW MY LORD JESUS IN HER HEART.GOD BLESS,TREMENDOUSLY.

Lydia @ On The Verge said...

Congrats to her and to you! You did a great job!

albert divo said...

Congratulations to both of you. Time really seems to fly by so fast. Our little ones are now all grown up. It's good that you have raised her well.

Visit my site: Effects of Divorce