Sunday, September 13, 2009

Teaching Someone To Read

In my last post I mentioned that I have my 12 yr old nephew living with us. Well I have the wonderful pleasure every night of helping him with his homework. And as a result I have found out one thing......he can't read worth a darn.

So, I sit patiently, and listen while he reads aloud from his homework. And I try very hard to be patient while I correct him. But it is not easy sometimes. I want to smack him upside the head when he repeatedly rushes through sentences. Or guesses at words instead of taking the time to sound them out and get them correctly.

But a school teacher I am not. That why I am looking for a little help from my readers. I am searching for either a computer program or a website that helps build reading skills. I don't know what kind of response I will get, but any suggestions will be appreciated. Lord knows I need all the help I can get.

3 comments:

Angela said...

I have a 9 year old son who is currently reading on a college level. I attribute this to me reading to and with him since he was an infant. I also bought him quite a bit of educational software started at around age 3. The best software, in my opinion, to help with a child's reading skills is Jumpstart - http://shop.knowledgeadventure.com/Departments/JumpStart-Series.aspx.

Jumpstart has different age and grade levels. Being that your nephew is behind you might could start him on a lower level than what would be normally expected and let him work his way up. It gets harder as the child learns therefore it will keep him challenged. You can find most of these at Walmart or Target, also.

Hope this helps!

Jen said...

The Jump Start series is what I used for my daughter as well. I also read to her every night and I read all the time. She thinks reading is fun because she sees me doing it. If you don't want to purchase software there are several sites such as pbs.org, sproutonline.com, nichjr.com and several others that are associated with television shows.

GreenMyParents said...

Wanna bet? Kids who compost at home will have far less debt as adults. Knowing how to value and preserve assets starts long before the first job #gmp

Watch what happens when 1 million young people save over $100 MM for families to fix the economy and save the Planet. GreenMyParents: support the youth movement to fix the economy, earn over $100 at home, and save the Planet.

Vote for GreenMyParents at RefreshEverything http://pep.si/vote4gmp and join us on Facebook at http://bit.ly/gmp2fb