Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Accidents Happen



When you are a parent the first lesson you learn is that accidents do happen. And in my house we have had an over abundance of them lately. And last weekend was no exception.

On Friday evening my 5 yr old son was playing at the neighbors house. Bouncing happily on the trampoline with not a care in the world. Then it happened......his chin made contact with his friends knee. And he split his tongue wide open. Of course it took stitches, four of them to be exact, to sew up the cut in his tongue. And then the fun really began.

For the next two days it was a non-stop battle to get him to stay hydrated. He refused to eat or drink. And after two days we had to return to the hospital. We begged and pleaded and finally were able to get him to drink. But only after threatening to give him an IV. He was not pleased with being forced to drink. But we finally won the battle.

So, it is Wednesday and he is doing so much better. Though his speech has taken a beating. He struggles to talk clearly because of the swelling. But it is great to see him bouncing all over the house with his sister. Chasing after each other without a care in the world. And the best part is watching him eat and drink. I never thought I would be so happy to see him drinking and eating.

17 comments:

Shelly said...

Ouch. That has really got to hurt. I can't imagine what the stitches were like. My son bit through his tongue (not nearly that bad) when he was 1. He was just learning to walk and tripped and hit his chin on the bottom of a chair. There was so much blood I couldn't figure out what had happened. We kept him on popsicles for days because the sipping from a sippy cup was too painful.
Glad he's doing better.

Mizé said...

Oh..poor kid. The mouth is a horrible spot to get hurt.
Maybe he can use a drinking straw.
Hope he gets better soon.

Sherri @ Luv a Bargain said...

This happened to my daughter when she was 20 months old. It is awful, I know. Her tongue turned white from not using it. Boy, did we learn a lot about tongues. So glad he is doing better.

Michele said...

OH MAAAAN!!! That must have hurt! My thoughts are with you. Ouch!

A Lil Enchanted said...

Poor lil guy! I can sooo feel his pain. When I was 5 I had an accident that caused me to bite the corner of my tongue off and it had to be sewn back on. It was soooo painful. It hurt to talk, eat and drink for about a week. But all is well and you would never know it now.

~A Lil Enchanted~

Leigh said...

Ouch, that looks horrible!

PJ said...

OUCH! i'm happy to hear that he is starting to drink something, and that he is feeling better. poor little guy!

Rolly said...

oohhh, poor boy


Joro Livelihood
Joro, The New Beginning
Absolutely Joro
The World Of Joro
The Tale Of A Bukidnon Lad
Baconchezjoro Multiply

Jenera said...

My darling is always wanting to jump on his cousin's trampoline and I'm a nervous wreck the entire time. He's already been bounced off the side and been landed on. I just grit my teeth and bare it. Kids are tough though.

LIFE,MARRIAGE AND KIDS said...

you must have been worried sick. That is what I am not looking forward to. Kids are so helpless when they get hurt. He must have felt terrible and so scared. I would have panicked and cried if it was me. Glad to know he is feeling much better.

Petula said...

Oh my... yucky injury. Poor baby. I'm glad you got him to drink.

Stacie's Madness said...

wow. hope he is healing nicely!

Moms On The Go said...

Ouch poor guy, that looks painful!

Matthew said...

I had a similar incident when I was 5. I bit my tongue with about the same size cut but my doctor said that they don't put stitches in the tongue. Well at least they didn't 45 years ago. I do still have a crease in my tongue but no lasting speech problems. So I am sure he will be fine.

vhincent said...

ouch, can't imagine it...
good thing he is recovering fast.

hartanto said...

ouch, sorry to hear that...

Buy Term Papers said...

In this era of web 2.0, we easily get nice & updated information for research purposes... I'd definitely appreciate the work of the said blog owner... Thanks!
................................

term paper writers-Term Paper Samples