Saturday, May 16, 2009

My Children's Obsession



Lately my children have developed a new obsession. They have found a bird nesting in a hanging basket off of my deck. I was going to plant some new flowers in it this spring, but it has found a new purpose now.

My children spend hours sitting in chairs around the deck talking to the bird. They pause every now and then to ask me how much longer before they can see the baby birds. Then they ask questions like where's the daddy bird. Now try and explain that to a 3 yr old and a 5 yr old. I found it simpler to just say that the daddy bird will be back when the babies come. Or I tell them that he is out looking for food. Sometimes I think it would be easier to explain nuclear physics to them.

They will understand the concept one day. But in the mean time we will sit and wait patiently for the sound of little birds chirping away.

6 comments:

Cactus Jack Splash said...

How neat, a dove nesting where you can watch.

kasandria said...

Awww that is too cool! Enjoyed reading your blog. Keep up the good work!
Kas
http://southernbellaswaystosave.blogspot.com/

The Mother said...

Wait till mommy teaches her little ones to fly--we have wasted entire DAYS on that.

Not wasted. Not really.

Naye said...

Aww, how cute! I have the same thing with my hanging flower baskets except they are on my front porch and tend to fly out and over our heads everytime we ope the door. The flowers itself are actually just dead and the pot I haven't removed simply because of the birds nesting there. I think it's cute.

dani c said...

Awwww thats too cute and cool.. :)

Moms On The Go said...

That is so cool, what a great experience for the kids:)