Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Tim Taylor Returns

My Tim the tool man Taylor has returned. And his latest adventure has been trying to repair a toilet. And has added a newly defined layer of stress to my already frazzled nerves.

Once again one of our children flushed an item that had no business being in a toilet. It turns out that our kids think that the toilet doubles as a garbage can, and they flushed a plastic container. And wouldn't you just know it stopped up the toilet. And no amount of plunging or snaking was breaking this thing up.

So, here it is Tuesday and our toilet is still not fixed. While the plastic container is not stuck in it anymore, we have been left with a leaking water lines that sprays water everywhere, broken lever arms, and a tank that leaks when you flush the toilet. I had to beg my husband to stop trying to fix it last night. Because it seems that he was only making things worse.

He finally gave up around 2 a.m. and went to bed. I on the other hand was left to clean up the tools, and clean up the bathroom. And of course he did the smart thing, he called a friend that is a plumber this morning. So we are going to leave this job up to the pros. Now if only I could convince my husband to stop trying to repair things........maybe just maybe we wouldn't have to keep calling repairman.

I love my husband to death............but a repairman he is not.

3 comments:

sanerdudette said...

I Just had the same problem, where the kids flushed a toothbrush down the toilet. No real disasters yet, except that getting any solids down requires several
hours and more than several flushes. Husband tried snaking and plunging and I am sure the toothbrush is stuck somewhere which will require the removal of a wall. What to do.....

Lola said...

My kids tried to flush a plastic apple from a kitchen set. The suction of the flush wedged it just beyond where you could see it. You couldn't grab it from above, or when I removed the toilet, from below. I ended up taking my cordless drill and drilling holes in the plastic apple until it collapsed and I could fish it out with tongs. If it's a plastic cup and you can see it, but can't get it, you might want to try this technique. Obviously don't use an electric drill as electricity and water don't mix.

The Hawg! said...

You know, my wife can tell a dozen similar stories on me.

By the way, what fascinates children about flushing things down a toilet? Drives me up the wall...