Saturday, December 13, 2008

Getting Caught

Well last night did not exactly go the way I planned it to. I was following my usual routine and was grocery shopping with my oldest son and my niece. As usual my son and niece went their seperate ways when we entered the store. They were browsing around while I picked up the weeks food. Nothing out of the ordinary until we went to leave the store. Nothing unusual that is until store security stopped my niece for shoplifting.

The weather was rather inclement so after paying for my merchandise I went to get the truck while my son paid for his stuff. My niece was also making a purchase of some toys for her daughter. As I was loading my groceries into the car I noticed my niece standing in the doorway talking to two men. I stood and watched for a minute and then I entered the store and asked the one man what was going on. I stated that I was her guardian and I wanted to know what was going on. The man informed me that he would speak to me in a moment. I watched the look on her face as the man asked her where the merchandise she took was. You could tell by the look on her face that she was reaching desperately for answers. But she was adament that she had done nothing wrong. I listened carefully as the man explained to me what they had observed. I then asked my niece to remove her coat. And as I reached my hand into the coat pocket I pulled out the merchandise that she had not paid for. I was hoping that it would not be true, that she hadn't taken anything. But my hopes were dashed when I removed the stolen goods. Imagine my dismay when I was asked to accompany her with the security to the loss prevention office. It was explained to her that the only reason the police were not being called was because I was with her.

We were told that her information was entered into their computers, so if she ever tried to do this stupid stunt again, they would notify the police instead of letting her go. And they also told us that we would be getting a bill from the stores lawyer for about $200.00 dollars. That's right 200 dollars. All because she wanted to be stupid. I was at a loss for words. The drive home was a long one. Let's just say I had more than a few choice words for her. And she sat in the back seat as quiet as ever. Not a word did she speak.

But the best was waiting at home for her.....her uncle. My husband was so outraged he unleashed his anger in the form of a verbal lashing. What do you say to a child that is on the verge of adulthood, and yet acts like a 12yr old? After about an hour or so, when the steam stopped coming out our ears, my husband and I talked about what had happened. Still at a loss for words, I started to giggle. My husband asked why I was laughing, and all I could come up with a memory of my mother-in-law. She passed on a few years ago, and I told my husband that I could picture her up in heaven laughing her butt off at us. And I just said " Thanks for the joke Mom!!"

And as we finished off the day lying in bed, about to drift off to sleep, I laughed again and simply said " Thanks again for the joke Mom"! To which my husband just laughed and kissed me and went to sleep.

1 comment:

MsRay said...

Teenagers and pre-teens usually get a kick out of shoplifting. For them, it's an adventure ahoplifting without getting caught. Back home, I read articles and heard experiences from girls belonging to the upper crust families of their "shoplifting" adventures.

And then there were celebrities who were caught shoplifting (Winona Ryder for one). These people must have psychological problems.