Thursday, October 9, 2008

Update On My Injury

Well today was my last appointment with the doctor for my injury that I got at work.
The doctor was surprised at my response when he asked me how I was doing. I replied to his question with one word "FABULOUS". He was puzzled to say none the least. For a person in my state of health I should not be great.

I told him of the changes I have made recently. No coffee, pop, dairy, and limited amounts of junk food. I also told him that I have been taking Glucosamine. And he was surprised when I said I had really been almost 100% pain free for almost 3 weeks now. No pain medication at all. Now, he did agree that the changes will be for the best.

I know I have not mentioned it, but when they did my testing to diagnose why I was still in pain. They discovered that I have severe arthritis in my shoulder and basically no cartilage left. The news was grim for me. The doctor told me that I was looking at a complete shoulder replacement. I was so devastated I cried for days. I asked myself how is this possible. I have had no real symptoms at all. And now I am being told I need a new shoulder. Well I was not willing to accept this without a fight.

So, I started reading up on natural healing and alternative medicine. I know that it is not the cure all for everything, but it wouldn't hurt to try. And I read the book 7 steps to overcoming arthritis by: Gary Null. And in the book he talks a lot about different pain medications and their effect on the body. And the effects of diet on the condition of the body. This is where I found out about the inflammation that occurs from consuming certain foods and beverages. And that certain over the counter medications that we take everyday for pain, actually do more harm than good. And that the one pain medication that I take all the time actually breaks down cartilage. So call me crazy, but I would rather be healthy than sick. And when push came to shove, I made the decision to be healthy.

And much to my dismay my orthopedic doctor actually was encouraging of my decisions as well as being surprised. But my family physician stayed true to her traditional medicine. She was somewhat negative in telling me that there are no medical studies that show the benefits of diet and other things on arthritis. And I am of the mindset right now that of course she is gonna say that. For if every one of her patients turned to alternative medicine to stay healthy the natural way, she would lose money. Will I stop seeing my doctor.....no. But, I will strongly consider the other options available to me from now on.

For now, I am incredibly happy with being pain free. And I know that my life will not be the same from now on. I have a different outlook on life. And I plan on trying my hardest to become a healthier individual.

2 comments:

dreamwalker said...

Oh wow, I have not visited for a while...love the new look!

Lilly's Life said...

Good on you - that is called taking control of your life. Tell us more about the foods you arent eating which may help your pain and how you are going. You are an inspiration!