Friday, September 19, 2008

Not A Good Cook ? Well Thanks For Not Telling Me Sooner!!

Lately I have been feeling really horrible. And I am not sure if it is the medication I am on, or the fact that I have been really sleep deprived this week. Or a combination of both. But I do know that I have been snapping at everyone. Especially today.

Last night I was having a discussion with my husband and son. It was supposed to be about the unfair division of duties in this house. As always it is me doing most of the work, while my husband and son sit back and chill. But the conversation quickly became an attack on me. I was not too happy when my husband blurted out that he really does not like my cooking. And then he informed me that I force the members of our house to eat what I want to eat. And my oldest child agreed with him. Now mind you, when I go grocery shopping, nobody gives me any input. They stand by silently when I am making my selections. So, without input I was under the impression that everything was acceptable. Well, apparently not. The sad thing is that I had to pry this information out of my husband. He was afraid he would hurt my feelings. Now, I am walking around with a chip on my shoulder. And Yes, I am hurt. Hurt because I have been trying to do the right thing. Try to find different ways to cook foods. And healthier ways also. I don't think he knows how difficult it is to be creative with the same foods day in day out. Or how hard it is to find foods that don't break our pocketbook.

So, I made the decision to allow my husband to cook every night of the week. Now mind you, I generally don't eat the foods that my husband cooks. He is a meat lover. His idea of a lasagna is to cook 5 pounds of meat mix it with ricotta cheese, Parmesan cheese, a bunch of seasonings, and some different kinds of sauces. And then he smothers it all in cheddar cheese and bakes it until it is so hard you can't even bite into it. And it looks even worse than it tastes. It resembles something that comes out of a babies diaper. The kids won't even touch it. I have tried to get him to use different recipes in the past, but he won't hear of it. Recipes are not for him. And he would never dream of using one.

I guess in the coming weeks I will have to cook only for myself. Since I won't be eating the things that my husband cooks. And this is going to cause even more hostility in my house. Since he will literally try to force me to eat his foods. Wish me luck. Maybe by allowing him to do all the cooking I will finally be able to get my message acrossed. That he is not the greatest cook and that marriage is supposed to be about compromise.

Wish me luck

2 comments:

L.A. said...

Way to go! That is so frustrating when you cook and they turn their noses up at it. I've even gone to far to say, "What do you want to eat?"

I'd get a shrug and an "I don't care."



http://by-la.com

lina said...

I get that too. Try asking for input and they don't care, but once the food is on the table, there are comments.
Good luck to you!