Saturday, August 23, 2008

Exhausted

Today was an exhausting day. We said our final good byes to our dear friend Herman. I cried so much today I got a massive headache. Then I started throwing up. I couldn't keep anything down, not even water. When I finally got home I went straight to bed and slept for like 3 hours. And that is so not like me. I never go to sleep in the middle of the day.

And then we had to field questions from our 5yr old and our 3yr old about death all day. That is always so hard to explain. They just don't have the concept down yet. I try to simplify it by saying that they went to be in heaven with the angels. Or that the angels needed another friend to play with. Or that Jesus was needing another friend to come visit. And then the hardest question of them all, "when will I see Herman again." That of course came from our 5 yr old. Boy, how to answer that one. All I could say was that you will see him again one day.

I do know that things will get better. And the empty space in our lives will eventually be filled with other things. But for now we struggle to adjust to the emptiness left in his absence.

2 comments:

Alexander M Zoltai said...

I think you did just fine with the children.

You didn't lie--they will meet again, far beyond this pain-shattered world...

~ Alex

Valerie said...

I think you explained it just right. This is how my mother explained it to me when I was that age, and that was a sufficient answer for a couple of years =)

I'm sorry for your loss, he's watching over you guys now.