Thursday, March 13, 2008

Bad Hair Day......That's an Understatement!!!!!

I am sure that alot of people will be able to relate to this...

Three months ago I was going through a very difficult time in my life. I was having the I am turning 40 blues. And I was still struggling to adapt to having 7 children. I felt horrible about myself, felt left out, and needed some change in my life. So what did I do? I changed my hair. And not a haircut, no not me. I had to change my hair color.

At the time I had long dark blond hair. My husband was gone for the day so I seized the opportunity and dove in with both feet. I took my 15 yr old niece with me to the store to purchase the color. I couldn't decide if I wanted to go lighter or darker. I threw caution to the wind and chose the darker color. Anxious for the feel good hormones to kick in, I decided to do it that night. I waited patiently for the time to rinse the coloring out so I could see the results. And I was not prepared for what I was about to see. My hair was goth black. You know, that kind of black that looks blueish. OH MY LORD !!!! What did I do.

Now I am mortified. Too late to change it now. I had to brace myself for my husbands reaction. And the reaction of my co- workers when I returned to work the next day. So I waited for my husband to return. When he finally came home he walked into our bedroom and had to do a double take. He thought I was a stranger at first. He had that look of confusion on his face. Not sure what to say, he asked me " did you do something different to your hair?" And my quick, sarcastic response was " No, your seeing things. Nothing is different. And then I laughed." I have to admit he was unsure what to think at first. But he liked it. And I started to like it also.

Well here it is 3 months later, and spring is right around the corner. And I am hating my hair again. So, in my infinite wisdom, I once again got the bright idea to change my color. And since I am too cheap and too broke to go to a salon, I bought the do it your self kit. I figured I wouldn't have any issues changing back to a lighter color since it has been 3 months. Boy was I wrong again. You wouldn't believe what I have now. Black hair on the ends that is somewhat lighter than it was. And reddish blonde hair on top. I think it looks horrible. My son shook his head in disbelief. And my husband, being the supportive man he is, said I like it. Of course he was sitting in a dark room at the time. So he hasn't seen the full effect yet. And the best part is, we are going to a 20th anniversary dinner for a friend of ours tomorrow night. I almost feel like shaving my head. At least it would be all one color.

So, what lessons have I learned from this.

1. Never trust someone else to pick out a haircolor for you.

2. Wait at least 24 to 48 hours before making rash decisions about changing your hair color. This will allow you time for your hormones to change again. And maybe you will decide to find another outlet for your hormonal overloads.

3. And last but not least, don't ever use the do it your self kit again.

Will I actually take my own suggestions......probably not.

2 comments:

NOTHING TO SEE HERE :O said...

Hello ! I know what your saying about the hair thing, I dyed mine in disaster ways for such a long time, the only way out for me though was to save, go to the salon and have it all bleached out. Apparently box dye is stronger than the stuff they use at the salon, so its best to have a good cut and a good bleach out. It may take a while to save and get it but it sure is worth it in the end..one year later and my hair is back on track now. I hope you can get this sorted :) Rachel

Jojo said...

i did mine with a do-it-yourself kit and it was fine. i have a dark brown hair and i only color it with black or brown.