Sunday, March 16, 2008

15 Yrs Old And Wants A Hotel Party

This morning my 15 yr old niece hit me with her birthday request. She wants to have a hotel party. Now, for those of you unfamilair with this it goes like this. Mom or Dad rent a hotel room. The teenager invites all of their friends to the room. Mom and Dad disappear and leave the kids alone in the hotel. Party begins with lots of alcohol and probably illegal drugs. Kids trash hotel room, pass out and then wake up and leave. This means that Mom and Dad now have to foot the bill for the trashed room.

O.k. call me crazy, but is she out of her mind? There is no way I would even consider this request. She apparently thinks that I am naive to what teenagers do when alone together. I should know, I was one of them. And I also thought that my parents were oblivious to my partying. And they never did catch me. But, I am wise to the game now.

I did not hesitate to say NO!!! We did discuss other options, like a pool party. She of course rolled her eyes and walked away. And I think I heard her mumble something about how unfair life is. And life has been so unfair to her since she moved in with us. When she was with her mom and dad, they were so caught up in their addictions and drug dealings to even know anything about what their kids were doing. But in my house it's the opposite. I do care. I ask lots and lots of questions, and poke my nose in to all of their business. But, that is what being a parent is all about.....Right? We are supposed to be involved in our childrens lives, know their friends, know where they are, and what they are doing. Well, I guess life goes on and my niece will get over it. Just another of lifes trials to endure. They say what doesn't kill you, will make you stronger. I sure hope they are right.

2 comments:

Sanzz said...

Nice opinion especially about todays Kids and there so called hotel or pool(or whatever) parties.

sAnzz
www.urban-nomadic.blogspot.com

TroubleX2 said...

My daughter has had 2 hotel birthday parties. No boys, no alcohol, no drugs! She just now turned 14 though, and mom was present for both. LOL! We did the stay at the hotel with the indoor pool party. Connecting rooms. It was great! They all had a good time and were completely safe. I know you're talking about something totally different though, and that sooooo would not be happening! Good luck!